About Loop Energy
Patented, peer-tested and industry applauded, Loop’s eFlow® technology is the first to create uniform current density, solving one of the most challenging issues in hydrogen energy development – and offering a new vision for heavy transport. Targeting short- and regional-haul freight markets as a replacement for fossil-fuel powertrains, Loop’s tough, zero-emission hydrogen/EV engine creates consistent peak power, improved performance, and a competitive total cost of ownership, without subsidies. Visit https://loopenergy.com.
Our rapidly growing product development team is looking for a Fuel Cell Stack – Seal Engineer to build on our patented eFlow® technology in designing future generation stacks as we scale-up for volume production. Reporting to the Stack Team Lead, the Fuel Cell Stack – Seal Engineer will own the seal design from conception to product validation. This position will appeal to candidates who enjoy performing in a fast-paced, highly technical, and collaborative environment. You will have the opportunity to influence work across departmental boundaries and with external suppliers and see your designs come to life in our next generation product. We are a lean, a dynamic team that balances a flexible, delivery mindset with rigorous automotive engineering. We encourage like-minded applicants to apply and contribute to growing the fuel cell market alongside us!
- Design and release ownership of stack seals, including unit cell and hardware interfaces
- Responsible for the compression force calculation and hyper-elastic FEA (including material characterization)
- Investigate novel approaches to stack sealing to support high-volume manufacturing
- Collaborate with plate, MEA, architecture and hardware engineers, through the design and development phase, achieving agreement of all interfaces and cascaded requirements
- Provide direction to manufacturing and equipment selection for intended seal design, actively involved in all trials and qualification
- Work closely with procurement, quality, and operations in the creation of component drawings, manufacturing files, and specifications
- Perform detailed design reviews, documentation of the design process
- Develop qualification test and design verification plans to ensure design robustness to requirements
- Support prototype builds and apply results to design in order to resolve issues that impact part cost, quality, and delivery
- Support seal design throughout sub-scale testing applications
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, Materials Science or similar
- 5-10 years of experience in seal design and materials (elastomers, adhesives)
- Proven understanding of manufacturing methods and equipment (injection molding, screen printing, dispensing, automation, etc.)
- Proficient in Solidworks modeling and drawing creation
- Industry knowledge of seal materials and their associated supply chain, manufacturing processes, and manufacturing equipment.
- Understanding of design verification and validation, ability to incorporate learnings in future designs
- Ability to bring products from the prototype level to a mid/high volume design
- Product development skills: DFMEA, DFMA, tolerance analysis, GD&T
- Application of structured problem-solving methods (8D, 5-whys)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good MS Office skills
Considered an asset:
- Strong background in seal design and manufacturing
- FEA of modeling and simulation of hyper elastic seals
- VA/VE experience an asset
- Experience in a high-volume component manufacturing environment
A competitive salary and benefits package awaits the successful candidate.