About Loop Energy
Loop Energy provides zero-emission power systems for heavy-duty transportation applications. Loop works with leading vehicle manufacturers to design, produce and integrate carbon-free motive power solutions to the rapidly expanding hydrogen fuel cell market. Loop powertrains deliver superior performance to conventional diesel engines at a competitive cost of ownership, without subsidies. For more information about how Loop Energy is driving the future of zero-emissions, visit https://loopenergy.com.
We are looking for an experienced Power Electronics System Engineer with proven experience in design, release, validation, and troubleshooting. The ideal candidate will be the one capable of working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with pro-active style. The successful professional will join our Product & Development team, working closely with our Principal Engineer for Product Architecture and interfacing with our software/controls, test, integration, and quality teams to ensure designs are delivered to customer requirements.
Loop’s nature as a rapidly growing green-energy company will also require the successful candidate to demonstrate a strong entrepreneurial spirit to help foster a dynamic and innovative work environment.
- Lead the power electronic design for the fuel cell system
- Develop specify system and component level requirements for power electronic systems from vehicle level requirements (incl. functional, cost, packaging, safety, EMC/EMI)
Define and release product/process specification documents, detailed drawings, process and instrumentation diagrams, control logic diagrams, and DFMEA
- Create, deliver and refine power electronic system designs that meet defined requirements and in accordance with applicable external standards
- Collaborate with Procurement and Quality groups to identify, mature, and source power electronic components and/or systems.
Define and evaluate the product safety concept
- Assist in the design of software and controls logic for power electronics and its interface to the fuel cell module and vehicle systems
- Develop test plans for power electronics at component, system, and vehicle level to ensure design robustness to requirements
Troubleshoot and root cause product field failures of power electronics and converters including onsite investigations, physical inspection, testing of failed units, reviewing data logs and correlating with product specifications and reviewing manufacturing and installation processes for cause(s) of failure
- Lead prototyping and debugging of power electronic boards and componentry and mature of supply chain from engineering/technical perspective
- Assist in preparation of technical documents including test procedures, test reports, and product manuals
Minimum 7 years experience in the design, development, test, and evaluation of high voltage power electronics, power converters, digital control systems, and/or embedded systems
- Proven ability to lead power electronics design
- Knowledge of control logic, configuration, and programming
- Experience with dynamic simulation of control and process systems using MATLAB and Simulink; experience with embedded software for power electronics, git, and Linux is a plus
- Proficient in electrical system design (e.g. Altium, PCAD) and simulation tools (e.g. PSIM, SPICE)
- Proven track record of power control board and analog circuit design for electronic devices
- Hands-on skills using oscilloscopes, current probes, frequency analyzers and soldering for breadboard build
- Working knowledge of EMC/EMI testing and applicable transportation standards
- Ability to generate and understand engineering documents and schematics
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- Registered or eligible to register as a Professional Engineer
- Occasionally required travel to the US, Asia, EU
Considered an asset:
- Working knowledge of applicable regulatory codes and standards considered an asset
- Value engineering or design to cost experience an asset
- Working knowledge of NI LabVIEW an asset
A competitive salary and benefits package awaits the successful candidate.