Patented, peer-tested and industry applauded, Loop’s eFlow® technology is the first to create uniform current density, solving one of the most challenging issues in hydrogen energy development – and offering a new vision for heavy transport.
Targeting short- and regional-haul freight markets as a replacement for fossil-fuel powertrains, Loop’s tough, zero-emission hydrogen/EV engine creates consistent peak power, improved performance, and a competitive total cost of ownership, without subsidies.
Our rapidly growing product development team is looking for a Fuel Cell Stack – Seal Engineer to build on our patented eFlow® technology in designing future generation stacks as we scale-up for volume production. Reporting to the Stack Team Lead, the Fuel Cell Stack – Seal Engineer will own the seal design from conception to product validation. This position will appeal to candidates who enjoy performing in a fast-paced, highly technical, and collaborative environment. You will have the opportunity to influence work across departmental boundaries and with external suppliers and see your designs come to life in our next generation product. We are a lean, dynamic team that balances a flexible, delivery mindset with rigorous automotive engineering. We encourage like-minded applicants to apply and contribute to growing the fuel cell market alongside us!
- Design and release ownership of unit cell seals; support design and release of seals at hardware interfaces
- Development of interface design requirements with the unit cell (esp. plate and MEA)
- Strong interaction with equipment/manufacturing suppliers in the development of seals
- Perform detailed design reviews, documentation of the design process
- Create and negotiate component drawings, manufacturing files, and specifications with external suppliers
- Interface with unit cell principal, plate, MEA and hardware engineers, quality, testing, manufacturing and supply chain teams to deliver a robust design that is optimized for function, cost, and quality
- Manage product cycles from concept to market launch, ensuring completion of validation and verification testing and post-launch support
- Support prototype builds and optimize the design based on the design for assembly topics
- Perform component validation and verification
- Support sub-scale testing hardware development
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or similar
- 5-10 years of experience in seal design and materials (elastomers, adhesives)
- Proven understanding of manufacturing methods (injection moulding, screen printing, dispensing, etc.)
- Industry knowledge of seal materials and their associated supply chain, manufacturing processes, and manufacturing equipment.
- Understanding of design verification and validation, ability to incorporate learnings in future designs
- Ability to bring products from prototype level to a mid/high volume design
- Product development skills: DFMEA, DFMA, tolerance analysis, GD&T
- Application of structured problem-solving methods (8D, 5-whys)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good MS Office skills
Other key assets:
- Strong 3D CAD design (Solidworks preferred)
- FEA of modeling and simulation of hyper elastic seals
- VA/VE experience an asset
- Experience in a high-volume component manufacturing environment (automotive applications preferred)
A competitive salary and benefits package awaits the successful candidate.