Patented, peer-tested and industry applauded, Loop’s eFlow® technology is the first to create uniform current density, solving one of the most challenging issues in hydrogen energy development – and offering a new vision for heavy transport.
Targeting short- and regional-haul freight markets as a replacement for fossil-fuel powertrains, Loop’s tough, zero-emission hydrogen/EV engine creates consistent peak power, improved performance, and a competitive total cost of ownership, without subsidies.
Our rapidly growing product development team is looking for a Fuel Cell Stack – Plate Engineer to build on our patented eFlow® technology in designing future generation stacks as we scale-up for volume production. Reporting to the Stack Team Lead, the Fuel Cell Stack – Plate Engineer will own the plate design from conception to product validation. This position will appeal to candidates who enjoy performing in a fast-paced, highly technical, and collaborative environment. You will have the opportunity to influence work across departmental boundaries and with external suppliers and see your designs come to life in our next generation product. We are a lean, dynamic team that balances a flexible, delivery mindset with rigorous automotive engineering. We encourage like-minded applicants to apply and contribute to growing the fuel cell market along side us!
- Design and release ownership of the bipolar and interface plate designs
- Development of interface design requirements with the unit cell and compression system
- Theoretical/empirical fuel cell (unit cell or stack) performance modelling – model creation, validation, and optimization
Performance modelling for optimization analysis of the following: Flow-field, headers, and transition region (optimize fluid flows, current distribution, water management) for cathode, coolant and anode circuitsStructural/Thermal analysis of platesUse of standard analysis tools: FEA, CFD, MATLAB
- Support development of testing methodologies (including custom hardware) to validate/corroborate above models
- Perform detailed design reviews, documentation of design process
- Create and negotiate component drawings, manufacturing files, and specifications with external suppliers
- Perform complex tolerance stack-ups, considering build, operating and environmental conditions
- Interface with unit cell principal, MEA, seal and hardware engineers, quality, testing, manufacturing and supply chain teams to deliver a robust design that is optimized for function, cost, and quality
- Manage product cycles from concept to market launch, ensuring completion of validation and verification testing and post-launch support
- Communicate with suppliers to ensure manufactured parts meet specification and timing
- Support prototype builds
- Perform component validation and verification
- Support sub-scale testing hardware development
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering or related
- 5-10 years of experience in fuel cell unit cell and/or plate design
- Demonstrated ability to design for strength and load distribution and perform tolerance stack-up analyses
- Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of manufacturing methods (moulding, forming etc.)
- Knowledge of plate material properties and characterization methods
- Product development skills: DFMEA, DFMA, tolerance analysis, GD&T
- In-depth understanding of fluid dynamics and heat and mass transfer with the ability to apply in CFD
- Application of structured problem-solving methods (8D, 5-whys)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good MS Office skills
Other key Assets:
- Experience in a high-volume component manufacturing environment (automotive applications preferred)
- Strong 3D CAD design (Solidworks preferred)
- FEA modelling and simulation for structural strength and heat transfer
- VA/VE experience an asset
A competitive salary and benefits package awaits the successful candidate.