Patented, peer-tested and industry applauded, Loop’s eFlow® technology is the first to create uniform current density, solving one of the most challenging issues in hydrogen energy development – and offering a new vision for heavy transport.
Targeting short- and regional-haul freight markets as a replacement for fossil-fuel powertrains, Loop’s tough, zero-emission hydrogen/EV engine creates consistent peak power, improved performance, and a competitive total cost of ownership, without subsidies.
Our rapidly growing product development team is looking for a Fuel Cell Stack – Hardware Engineer to build on our patented eFlow® technology in designing future generation stacks as we scale-up for volume production. Reporting to the Stack Team Lead, the Fuel Cell Stack – Hardware Engineer will own the hardware design from conception to product validation. This position will appeal to candidates who enjoy performing in a fast-paced, highly technical, and collaborative environment. You will have the opportunity to influence work across departmental boundaries and with external suppliers and see your designs come to life in our next generation product. We are a lean, dynamic team that balances a flexible, delivery mindset with rigorous automotive engineering. We encourage like-minded applicants to apply and contribute to growing the fuel cell market along side us!
- Design and release ownership of fluid distribution and compression system components
- Development of interface design requirements with the unit cell and fluid connections to the balance of plant
- Perform detailed design reviews, documentation of design process
- Create and negotiate component drawings, manufacturing files, and specifications with external suppliers
- Perform tolerance stack-ups and apply GD&T
- Interface with plate, seal and MEA engineers, engine team, quality, manufacturing and supply chain teams to deliver a robust design that is optimized for function, cost, and quality
- Manage product cycles from concept to market launch, ensuring completion of validation and verification testing and post-launch support
- Work with suppliers to ensure manufactured parts meet specification and timing
- Support prototype builds and optimize the design based on the design for assembly topics
- Perform component validation and verification
- Support sub-scale testing hardware development
- Liaise with the operations team to ensure the fit of hardware to production equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related
- 5-10 years of experience in product design
- Experience in a high-volume component manufacturing environment (automotive applications preferred)
- Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of manufacturing methods (injection moulding, general machining, etc.)
- Product development skills: DFMEA, DFMA, tolerance analysis, GD&T
- Application of structured problem-solving methods (8D, 5-whys)
- Ability to work and multi-task in a highly technical, fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good MS Office skills
Other key assets:
- Strong 3D CAD design (Solidworks preferred)
- FEA experience desired
- VA/VE experience
A competitive salary and benefits package awaits the successful candidate.